Xylitol is a sugar compound that is sourced from Birch tree. It’s an artificial sweetener found in many sugar-free products used by humans. Unfortunately, this sweetener is 100% poisonous to dogs. It’s, therefore, your responsibility as a dog owner to keep your pet safe by removing xylitol-containing products from your home.
Xylitol ingestion causes rapid production of insulin in dogs, which suddenly decreases their blood sugar. This condition can be fatal if not treated immediately by a veterinarian. Continue reading to find out more about this compound and what you can do to reduce the risk of your dog’s exposure to it:
Xylitol Is Available In Several Items
Lots of different products we use in our homes contain this artificial sweetener. To prevent your dog from getting accidentally poisoned, you need to read the labels carefully before buying any product, especially those labeled as sugar-free. Make a conscious decision today to keep items containing xylitol out of your home. But if you must use them, keep them out of your dog’s reach.
Here’s a list of some products containing xylitol that you should look out for:
- Dental care products such as toothpastes, mouthwash
- Sugarless gums and candy
- Sugar free cupcakes and snacks
- Over the counter sprays and drugs like throat lozenges and children’s vitamins
- Breath mints
- Peanut butter
- Prescription drugs
- Cough syrup
Only A Small Quantity Of Xylitol Is Needed To Kill Your Pet
If takes only a very small amount of xylitol to cause serious damage in your dog i.e. as little as 50 mg of the compound is enough to poison him. When a higher dose of the compound is ingested, the risk of serious complications and death gets even higher if your dog isn’t attended to immediately by a vet.
Therefore, if you’re the type of person that can’t do without a few candies or chewing gums in your pocket or purse, make sure you don’t leave them (or the wrappings) within your dog’s reach to prevent accidents.
Keeping Your Dog Away From Xylitol Poisoning
Here are some useful tips to reduce the risk of accidental poisoning:
- Make sure you use only doggie toothpaste to brush your dog’s teeth.
- Stop sharing your baked products with your dog.
- If you have some candy bars or chewing gums in your home, ensure you keep them in locked/top cabinets and shelves.
- It’s very easy for dogs to get poisoned if they access xylitol-containing products from your garbage. So, stop yours from accessing the garbage can either by hiding it beneath the sink or using one with a tight lid.
- Read labels when shopping and always opt for xylitol-free products. I’m sure there are several options out there to choose from.
- The best way to keep dog safe is by not bringing products containing xylitol home.
- If you suspect that your pet has been accidentally poisoned, rush him to the vet immediately.
Hopefully with the above information and tips, you’ll be able to prevent your dog from Xylitol poisoning. Spread the word to other dog owners and lovers around the world to help keep our dogs safe.